Thursday, November 9, 2017

Where Writers Write: Caitlin Hamilton Summie

Welcome to another installment of TNBBC's Where Writers Write!

Where Writers Write is a weekly series that will feature a different author every Wednesday as they showcase their writing spaces using short form essay, photos, and/or video. As a lover of books and all of the hard work that goes into creating them, I thought it would be fun to see where the authors roll up their sleeves and make the magic happen. 



This is Caitlin Hamilton Summie.

She earned an MFA with Distinction from Colorado State University, and her short stories have been published in Beloit Fiction Journal, Wisconsin Review, Puerto del Sol, Mud Season ReviewHypertext Magazine, South85 Journal, The Belmont Story Review and Long Story, Short. Her first book, a short story collection called TO LAY TO REST OUR GHOSTS, was published in August by Fomite and has earned excellent reviews, including a starred Foreword. Most recently her poetry was published in The Literary Nest. She spent many years in Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Colorado before settling with her family in Knoxville, Tennessee. She co-owns the book marketing firm, Caitlin Hamilton Marketing & Publicity, founded in 2003. Find her online at caitlinhamiltonsummie.com.







Where Caitlin Hamilton Summie Writes



I write in a room that is meant to be the living room of our house. My computer sits on a melamine board laid over two white filing cases. I’ve had the melamine board since at least 1992. The filing cases are recent replacements of my much-moved and dented ones and were supplied by my parents when they downsized.

I write surrounded by books, photos, mail supplies, and (many) work files.

In the corner: a blue overstuffed chair that has perfectly placed armrests for my height.

Ahead: a window with a view of a glorious maple tree.

To my left: a smaller window that gives me a peek of a teeny dogwood tree on the corner of our lot.

And everywhere, hanging on the walls all around me, the vibrant, bright colors of my children’s artwork from age 2 on…



1 comment: